Graduation at a G’Lance, April 16
Churchill Class of 2021 and Families,
Several new announcements are included in this issue of the Graduation at a G’Lance. Please read carefully so you don’t miss out on important information.
Past issues of the Graduation at a G’Lance are posted on the Graduation! page along with a calendar of graduation events and contact information to help you along the way. Please be aware that past issues of the newsletter may contain outdated information.
Churchill Graduation Committee
In This Issue
- New! Graduation Checklist
- New! Auditions for Speakers and Performers Due Date Extended to April 19
- New! Virtual Graduation Photo Uploads are Due April 26
- New! Graduation Celebration Planning Continues (parent-sponsored)
- ICYMI: Recording and Materials from Graduation Information Night
- Honors Diploma Applications Due April 30
- Cap and Gown Pickup
- Update: Graduation Orders have Arrived
- Early graduates
- Graduation Calendar
The Graduation Checklist is here! Updates will be posted on Fridays at chs.4j.lane.edu/graduation and in the Graduation at a G’Lance.
Graduation Performer and Speaker Auditions Due Date Extended to April 19
Auditions to perform or give a speech in the graduation ceremonies are open to all graduating students. Auditions must be submitted through Google Drive. All submitted auditions will be considered for both ceremonies.
Auditions are due on April 19. You can send a recording of your audition to Jill at email@example.com, or follow these instructions to submit your audition through Google Drive.
- Record your audition.
- Upload your audition to your 4J Google Drive. The file name must include the performer(s)’s name, the title of the work, and the name of the author or songwriter. Examples:
- Rodney Lancer Graduation Speech
- Jane Smith singing Laurie’s Song by Aaron Copeland
- Jane Smith and Rodney Lancer reading The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
- Rodney Lancer dancing to Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield
- Share your audition file and copy of your typed speech or link to your source material (like song lyrics or poem). In Google Drive, open the share settings for your file and add Jill Reents (firstname.lastname@example.org) as an editor. Make sure “Notify people” is checked before you click the send button.
Graduation Audition Rules
- You must have a reasonable expectation that you will be cleared to graduate.
- Your audition material must be three minutes or less.
- Your material must be school-appropriate.
- Your audition should be performance-ready. Auditions are competitive and there will be limited time for you to make changes before the final product will be submitted for the virtual ceremony.
Virtual Graduation Student Portal
Graduating students will receive an email invitation from email@example.com at their 4J email address. Early graduates will receive the invitation at the email address they have provided for communications. These invitations should be coming this weekend, no later than Monday, April 19. Make sure to check your junk mail if you don’t receive the invitation in your inbox.
Once you sign in to the student portal, you will be prompted to upload the photo of your choice, confirm the spelling and pronunciation of your name, and add your quote. You may also see options to say thank you to your teachers.
Submissions for the virtual graduation are due April 26.
Graduation celebration planning continues – give your input*
Seniors, there is still time to have your voice heard. Let the parent planning committee know:
If we “build it,” will you come?
Please complete a brief survey by Wednesday, April 21, to give your input.
A final decision about a graduation celebration for CHS seniors will be announced by April 23.
Parents, it will take the effort of many to hold a graduation celebration. As many parents as possible are needed to help prepare and organize, finance through fundraising and donations, and staff the event. Please get involved by providing your contact information through the parent survey form. Shout out of thanks to those who have already submitted their contact info and are ready to pitch in on the effort.
Save the date – April 28 – Dizzy Dean’s Donuts fundraiser to support the senior celebration.
All donut purchases at Dizzy Dean’s Donuts on Wednesday, April 28, will result in a donation to the Senior Class Celebration Parent Committee to help offset costs of gifting the CHS graduating class with swag to recognize their accomplishment and hosting a graduation celebration. With a fundraising flyer, 40% of each purchase will be donated. Follow the Celebrating Seniors Facebook account or Instagram account @churchillseniors2021 to download a flyer. 10% of each purchase will be donated without a flyer.
The Facebook and Instagram accounts are also the best way to get the latest information about senior events, plans for a graduation celebration, and to connect with parents and families of Churchill seniors as we find ways to recognize and celebrate this milestone moment and work together to make something special out of these final months for the class of 2021.
Questions can be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The Graduation Celebration is a community-sponsored event. Liability is the responsibility of the organizers of the event.
ICYMI: Graduation Information Meeting
The Graduation Information Meeting was recorded. The video and the presentation slides are posted here.
Honors Diploma Applications Due April 30
Applications for the 4J Honors Diploma have been shared with all students who may qualify. Complete the application by Friday, April 30 if you want to receive the honors diploma and honor cord.
Qualifications for the 4J Honors Diploma at Churchill have been modified for this year to account for the lack of available opportunities for community service. This year’s requirements include
- at least 25 credits,
- a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above (rounded to the nearest 10th),
- 50 hours of community service by the end of the second trimester, and
- a completed Honors Diploma Application submitted to Sheree Houck by April 30.
Contact Sheree Houck if you have questions at email@example.com.
Cap and Gown Pickup and Senior Celebration: May 21, 1:00–4:00 p.m.
All graduating students are invited to join us for the Senior Celebration. Parade through the Churchill parking lot in your vehicle (or come on foot if you need to). Churchill staff will cheer you on as you are knighted and receive your caps and gowns, honor cords, and student union stoles.
Scheduled times and more details will be shared when they are finalized.
Graduates will have the opportunity to have a photo taken in their cap and gown at this event. Each student will receive one photo at no cost (to be mailed later). Photography will be provided by Northwest Exposures.
Graduation Orders Have Arrived
Graduation announcements, sweatshirts, tassels, and other items ordered from Miners Graduate Services are in the front office. Students can pick them up after school at the front entrance, or come to our regular distribution events on the first and third Thursday of the month from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. The next distribution event is on May 6.
Caps and gowns will arrive in May and will be distributed on May 21.
You can still order your cap and gown and graduation announcements. Your late order may be subject to late fees and product restrictions.
There are three ways to order:
- Order online at minersgrad.com.
- Fill out a paper order form. Call the Churchill front office at 541-790-5100 to schedule a time to pick up a paper order packet. Complete the order sheet and mail it to Miners Graduate Services or drop it at the Churchill office and a Miners representative will pick it up.
- Order in person at Miners Graduate Services. Call ahead to schedule your visit and submit your order at the sales office.
Questions? Call Miners Graduate Services.
Early Graduates (Graduating before June)
After you graduate, you are unenrolled from Churchill and 4J. Your contacts are removed from our communications lists and your 4J email, Google Drive, and other services that use your 4J sign-in are no longer accessible.
Walking in Graduation
Early graduates (graduating before term 3) who want to participate in the graduation ceremony and receive news and updates about graduation, please contact Jill Reents at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-790-5112. She will add your name to the graduation checklist and your preferred contact information to a special distribution list for the Graduation at a G’Lance.
Saving your Data
Before you graduate, copy any files and data from your 4J accounts that you wish to keep to a personal device, external drive, or personal Google Drive. For instructions on using Google Takeout to download your 4J Google data, visit 4j.lane.edu/technology/ns/googletakeout.
If you are using your 4J email for your Naviance account, you must change it to a personal email to avoid losing access to Naviance.
|Beginning in April, the Graduation Checklist will be posted at chs.4j.lane.edu/graduation. The checklist will be updated weekly.
Location or Contact
|Honors Diploma Applications sent to qualifying students
|Sheree Houck, email@example.com
|Graduation Performer and Speaker Auditions
|Share your recorded audition with Jill Reents in 4J Google Drive.
|Honors Diploma Application Due
|Sheree Houck, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Graduation Survey Due
|Senior Celebration and Cap and Gown Pickup
|Churchill parking lot
|June 1, 6:00 p.m.
|Senior Awards Ceremony
|Last Day of Classes for Seniors
|Virtual Graduation Ceremony
June 17, 7:00 p.m.
|In-Person Graduation Ceremony
|Halvorsen Field (football field)
*Community-sponsored event. Liability is the responsibility of the organizers of the event.