G’Lancer, August 2022
Welcome to the 2022–2023 school year!
In this back-to-school issue of the G’Lancer, we hope to give you information and resources to help you start the year off well. Our top priority is the safety of our students and the Lancer community. These are our kids.
Throughout the school year, Churchill High School communicates information to families in a variety of ways.
- Principal Missy Cole will email weekly Family Bulletins with information about the upcoming week’s events and important announcements. These bulletins will often also include community events, helpful community services, extracurricular educational opportunities, and celebrations of the accomplishments of our students and staff.
- The 4J school district and Churchill High School use SchoolMessenger to send reminders and time-sensitive announcements to families as recorded voice messages, emails, and text (SMS) messages. These messages can be very frequent at the beginning of the school year when a lot of important events take place. You are encouraged to create a SchoolMessenger account at go.schoolmessenger.com using the email address that we use to contact you. Once your account is active you will be able to control how you receive messages through SchoolMessenger, such as opting out of phone messages or opting into SMS (text).
- Occasionally, we will post announcements on our social media pages. In addition to our school pages, some of our clubs, departments, and teachers manage their own social media accounts. The creator of the account, teacher, or club advisor is responsible for the content on those pages.
- Facebook @churchillhighschool,
- Twitter @CHSLancers, and
- Instagram @churchilllancers.
- Finally, check out our website at chs.4j.lane.edu. You can find all of our announcements, newsletters, and links to social media pages from there.
Welcome back! We are excited to begin this new school year together.
From the Principal
Hello and welcome back to school soon! I wanted to introduce myself, and tell you how excited I am to be the new principal at Churchill High School. My name is Missy Cole, and I was one of the Assistant Principals last year here at CHS, and before that, I was an Assistant Principal at Thurston High School for 8 years. I have been in education for 24 years, as a high school teacher and coach, a middle school Dean of Students, a Federal Grant Coordinator, and an Administrator. I am excited for this upcoming year and to be here at Churchill again as the new Principal.
I look forward to going through this year with you.
Principal, Churchill High School
Churchill News | 4J District News | Community News
Churchill School Events Calendar | Churchill Athletic Calendar | 4J District Calendar
|June 24–August 15||Churchill School-Based Health Center Closed|
|June 27–August 5||Summer Office Hours
9 am–12 pm, 1–3 pm
Closed on Fridays
|June 27–August 26||FOOD for Lane County Summer Meals Program at Acorn Park*|
|July 11–August 12||Summer Intensive Courses: REGISTER HERE|
|August 8||Regular Office Hours Resume
8 am–4 pm
|August 10||Fall athletics registrations due: REGISTER HERE
(cheer, cross country, football, boys’ and birls’ soccer, volleyball)
|August 15||Fall athletics practices begin|
|August 25 and 26||9 am–12 pm||Back-to-School Days
(office closed in the afternoon)
|August 28||Project Hope Fair*|
|September 5||School Closed — Labor Day|
|September 6||9th-Grade Orientation|
|September 6||10:00 am
|New Student Tours
(for new students in 10th–12th grades)
|September 7||Classes Begin|
|September 14||Advisory Bell Schedule|
|September 16||Picture Makeup Day|
* Community-sponsored event: Churchill High School and Eugene School District 4J do not provide financial, administrative, or clerical support for this event. Liability is the responsibility of the organizers of the event.
Summer Office Hours
9:00 am–12:00 pm, 1:00–3:00 pm,
closed on Fridays.
Regular office hours will resume on August 8.
Monday–Friday, 8:00 am–4:00 pm
School-Based Health Center closed June 24–August 15.
Volunteer for Back-to-School Days!
We need volunteers to make our Back-to-School Days run smoothly for all of our families. Back-to-School Days are August 25 and 26. Volunteers can commit to one or both days and must be available from 8:00 am to 12:30 pm on the day that they volunteer.
Complete your Volunteer Application as soon as possible. It takes two weeks or more to process your application. Then, email Jill Reents to let her know that you are ready to volunteer.
More volunteer opportunities are available throughout the school. We can use your skills.
All volunteers must complete the 4J Volunteer Application. Volunteer background checks expire after 2 years and each volunteer must complete the application again to renew their background check at the end of the 2 years. Only current registered and trained volunteers may be on campus or chaperone a school function without a staff escort.
Contact the 4J volunteer helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org to check your volunteer status.
Churchill volunteer coordinator:
Jill Reents, Secretary
Athletics Registration: Due August 10
Register now for fall athletics. Registration is due on August 10. Registrations received after the 10th will not be processed in time to be eligible for the first day of practice on August 15.
For more information, including a registration link, eligibility requirements, and coach contact information, visit the C-Hill Athletics page.
Now is the time to schedule your sports physical. Sports physicals are valid for two years from the date of the medical visit.
Most family physicians provide low-cost sports physicals to established patients. Contact your doctor’s office to find out what they offer and schedule your appointment.
The School-Based Health Center at Churchill offers a sports physical as part of a complete child wellness exam. The Health Center accepts insurance and offers need-based financial assistance. Call for pricing and scheduling.
Back-to-School Days: August 25 and 26
Churchill’s Back-to-School Days are August 25 and 26, 9:00 am–noon. The office will close in the afternoon on both days.
All students should attend Back-to-School Days. Students will receive their student ID cards, update their contact information, receive LTD bus passes, learn about extracurricular activities, and more.
Look for more information coming soon on the CHS website.
9th-Grade Orientation is Mandatory: September 6
9th-graders, get ready for 9th-Grade Orientation on Tuesday, September 6. You’ll receive a reminder with more information about a week before the orientation day.
New Student Tours: September 6
School tours will be offered on September 6 at 10:00 am or 2:00 pm for any student new to CHS. No RSVP is necessary. Just show up at the time that works best for you.
First Day of School: September 7
Look for an announcement the week before school starts with more information about what to expect on the first day of school.
Because of the diversity of classes offered at the high school level, each student will have different needs for school supplies. Teachers will list any special supplies on the class syllabus, which will be shared on the first day of class. We recommend bringing these basic supplies on the first day of school.
- Your student computer
- Water bottle — Liquid spills may damage your student computer beyond repair! Please keep your water bottle away from your student computer. Do not put your computer and water bottle together in the same pocket of your school bag. Make sure your water bottle is securely sealed. We recommend carrying your water bottle separately or using a school bag with an exterior pocket that can hold your water bottle upright and separated from your student computer.
4J District News
Free and Reduced Benefits
All 4J families are encouraged to learn more about the benefits of the Free and Reduced-Price meals program. Families who qualify can benefit outside of the school lunch program with healthcare, low-cost internet, reduced sports fees, and more!
Learn more about these benefits at http://www.4j.lane.edu/nutrition/freelunchbenefits, or http://www.4j.lane.edu/nutrition/freelunch.
Driver’s Ed at Churchill
Oregon Driver Training Institute offers Drivers Ed classes year-round. View the schedule and sign up at oregondrivertraining.com/class.htm.
Wordcrafters Eugene Write Club
Explore more opportunities for young writers at wordcrafters.org.
Young writers! Join us for Write Club this September and explore World Building with Leah Velez.
Saturday, September 3, 2022
Youth (Ages 9-12) 10 am–Noon
Teens (Ages 13-18) 1–3 pm
Location: Wordcrafters Studio
Free | $10 suggested donation.
How does a world get to be how it is? How does a culture develop, react, or change? What environmental factors led the world to emerge the way it did? What social norms were constructed along the way? What values were they built around? What are the key events in your fictional world’s history, and how has that impacted the characters in your fictional world?
Using some role-playing and improvisational collaborative storytelling we will generate a world of our very own making together, and then you will write your own story starter that takes place in this world, at a pivotal moment in time!
This is a great way to get started on your story for Fiction Fantastic 2023!