Family Bulletin, September 9, 2022
Hello, Churchill families and students.
We are so excited to have finished our first week back at school! What a fast-paced week of meeting new friends, teachers, and staff. It is so great to see everyone’s smiling faces in person and not on a computer. This is going to be a great year!
Our staff is excited to be at CHS, welcome your students and teach them this year. Please let us know if you have any questions or need additional information.
Principal, Churchill High School
What’s happening in the weeks ahead:
4:00 PM — Fall Play Auditions in the Auditorium
- JV and Varsity Boys Soccer vs Sheldon – 4 pm and 6 pm
- JV and JV2 Volleyball vs Thurston – 5:30 pm
- Varsity Girls Soccer @ Sheldon – 6 pm
WEDNESDAY, 9/14 — ADVISORY
- Varsity Girls Soccer vs Crescent Valley – 6 pm
- Varsity and JV Boys Soccer @ Crescent Valley – 5:30 pm and 7:30 pm
- Varsity, JV, JV2 Volleyball @ Eagle Point – 5:30 pm
PICTURE MAKEUP DAY
- Cross Country @ LCC – 1:30 pm
- JV Football vs Eagle Point – 4 pm
At Lunch — LCC College Visit in F39
- Varsity and JV Boys Soccer @ North Eugene – 4 pm and 6 pm
- Varsity, JV, and JV2 @ Springfield – 5:30 pm and 6:45 pm
- Varsity Girls Soccer @ North Eugene – 6 pm
- Varsity, JV, JV2 Volleyball vs Crater Lake @ Churchill – 4:30 pm and 5:45 pm
FRIDAY, 9/23 — WELCOME ASSEMBLY
ASSEMBLY BELL SCHEDULE
- Varsity Football vs Willamette @ Churchill – 7 pm
- JV Soccer @ Creswell – 4:30 pm
- Varsity Volleyball @ South Albany HS – 8 am
Thank you so much for your patience as Counselors worked hard this past week to get schedules updated and correct for all students. (Thank you Laura, Joy, Katy and Casey!! You are rock stars!) If your student requested a change, please remind them to check their 4j student email to see if a counselor has reached out with questions about the request, and also check StudentVue to see if the classes have changed.
Advisory on Wednesday
Starting this Wednesday, Sept. 14th, students will be attending their advisory class. Advisory is a 45-minute class that happens every other week where students will do whole school activities, review students’ rights and responsibilities, participate in Character Strong lessons, and receive other district- and state-mandated instruction. Students will have the same advisory teacher for their entire 4 years at CHS.
Advisory is listed on your student schedule under “Period 18”. Check StudentVUE to find your Advisory teacher and room number.
Advisory Bell Schedule
0 Period — 7:25 AM – 8:25 AM
1st Period — 8:30 AM – 9:30 AM
2nd Period — 9:35 AM – 10:35 AM
Advisory — 10:50 AM – 11:35 AM
3rd Period — 11:40 AM – 12:43 PM
Lunch — 12:48 PM – 1:20 PM
4th Period — 1:25 PM – 2:25 PM
5th Period — 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM
Picture Makeup Day
THIS IS NOT A RETAKE DAY. Picture Makeup Day is only for students who missed getting their school picture on Back-to-School Days. Retake day will be on Friday, October 21 for students who are not happy with their picture.
Picture Makeup Day Schedule
12th-Grade students who need a picture should use the time before school, at lunch, or during a free period to get their makeup picture.
Any student with a free period should use their free period to get their makeup picture.
1st Period—9th Grade
- 8:35 A–F
- 8:45 G–L
- 8:55 M–R
- 9:05 S–Z
2nd Period—10th Grade
- 9:40 A–F
- 9:50 G–L
- 10:00 M–R
- 10:10 S–Z
3rd Period—11th Grade
- 10:50 A–F (after announcements)
- 11:00 G–L
- 11:10 M–R
- 11:20 S–Z
Lunch—Any remaining students can use the lunch period for picture retakes.
Auditions for the Fall Play at CHS
Auditions for the Fall Play, “That’s the Spirit”, by Tim Kelly, are Tuesday, Sept. 13th, after school in the auditorium. Auditioners should prepare one 30-60second monologue and expect to do some script reading. See Mr. Patton in RM H8 if you have questions., email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canvas 101 for students
Are you new to Canvas, or do you just need a refresher? Students and families can enroll in Canvas 101 for Students to learn how to use Canvas.
There are two ways to find this course:
- Directly with this link: https://4j.instructure.com/courses/30541 (Note that an account is NOT required to view the course, families are welcome to view it as well)
- Via the Canvas login pages on the 4J website- https://www.4j.lane.edu/instruction/canvas/ under Self-Enroll Canvas Course.
Sing with the Oregon Children’s Choir!
The Oregon Children’s Choir welcomes 2nd-12th graders to join one of our fun and inspiring choirs for the 2022-2023 school year! Develop new singing techniques, learn new songs, and make new friends. Choirs meet once per week and perform four concerts per year. Scholarships and sibling discounts are available. Registration and information at www.oregonchildrenschoir.org.
Reporting an Absence
- Please inform the attendance office each day that your student is absent.
- Absences need to be excused within 2 business days.
- Pre-planned absences of three or more days may be excused if arranged in advance by filling out the pre-arranged absence form available in our front office or on our website at chs.4j.lane.edu/forms.
To excuse by 24-hour voice message: 541-790-5102
To excuse by email: email@example.com
Volunteer for Site Council
Site Council is a group of teachers, support staff, students, and parent representatives who determine the mission, vision, and school improvement goals for Churchill High School. Churchill is looking for new community members that would like to be part of this important work. Our meetings are once a month and will always honor the time of our team. Please contact Assistant Principal Lancelot Falcon (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.
You’re invited to join Eugene School District 4J Superintendent Dr. Andy Dey for a one-on-one conversation. Sign up to request your 30-minute chat. Conversations are being scheduled through September 2022. This is an opportunity for parents, students, staff, and other community members to talk with Superintendent Dey, ask questions, and share concerns and suggestions for the school district. Sign up here: 4j.lane.edu/superintendent/lets-talk
Están invitados a unirse al superintendente del Distrito Escolar de Eugene 4J, el Dr. Andy Dey, para una conversación individual. Regístrese para solicitar su chat personal de 30 minutos. Las conversaciones se programarán desde ahora hasta septiembre de 2022. Esta es una oportunidad para que los padres, los estudiantes, el personal y otros miembros de la comunidad puedan hablar con el superintendente Dey, hacer preguntas y compartir inquietudes y sugerencias para el distrito escolar. Regístrese aquí: 4j.lane.edu/superintendent/lets-talk